Further unusual requests to consular staff include:
- A caller asked staff in Malaga in mid-September where she could get a Christmas lunch as everywhere was already booked up
- Staff in Greece were asked for tips on the best fishing spots and where to purchase good bait
- A man called the consulate in Florida to report that there were ants in his holiday villa and asked for advice on what he should do
- A lady complained to the embassy in Moscow about a loud buzzing noise in her apartment
- A man asked a consulate in Greece for information on how to go about putting a chicken coop in his garden
We need to be able to focus primarily on helping victims of serious crimes, supporting people who have been detained or assisting people who have lost a loved one abroad."
The Foreign Office dealt with over 19,000 cases of genuine assistance to it citizens in 2010 and a new call centre was opened in Malaga in the same year which is said to have made significant difference in non consular enquiries.
Keep up the good work!